This is an exciting time to be joining Argos Therapeutics, a Research Triangle Park based biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of individualized immunotherapies for the treatment of cancer and infectious diseases. The Human Resources function is helping to drive the company’s growth and expansion as we near the end of our first phase 3 clinical trial and prepare for commercial launch of the first Argos product for the treatment of advanced kidney cancer. Individuals joining the Argos team enjoy the excitement of an entrepreneurial, “start-up” environment and have the opportunity to wear many hats as we work together to deliver novel treatments for patients.
This newly created role will partner with the Chief Human Resources Officer to both ensure that the HR fundamentals are delivered as well as to design and implement new approaches to HR processes, practices, and systems to scale the company for future growth. The role combines the responsibilities of an HR Business Partner, offering a variety of projects, along with being Process Owner for one or more core HR processes. The successful candidate will serve as a “jack of all trades” during these exciting times, rolling up their sleeves to work on a variety of different things. This role is perfect for the person who thrives in a “start-up” type of environment, likes to create new processes, programs and interventions and take ownership and deliver results where they see the impact that they have on improving the company every day.
- Business Partner: Support a productive and healthy workplace through establishing and maintaining strong working relationships with employees and people leaders, supporting them and providing counsel as needed, educating and influencing to maintain strong working relationships throughout the company. Conducts research and analyzes data on assigned projects. Involved in interpreting policy, management reporting, and administering HR processes, e.g. performance management.
- Talent Acquisition: Bring great new talent to Argos by managing the recruiting process for assigned job openings from job requisition, to consulting with hiring manager, to coordination with any external recruiting resources we may engage, and through to offer and onboarding, anticipating and mitigating any issues that might create a less than extraordinary candidate experience.
- Total Rewards: Help ensure competitive pay and benefits to attract and retain top talent. Partner with CHRO on projects to 1) evaluate overall competitiveness of our Total Rewards and 2) strengthen our compensation framework through the introduction of job banding. Ongoing responsibilities:
- Process Owner for Employee Benefits: Partner with benefits broker to evaluate benefits offerings on an annual basis, gain management approval for and manage implementation of changes to plans; manage annual open enrollment and ensure employees are getting the support they need through carriers and broker’s Employee Advocate.
- Compensation: Perform job evaluation and pricing for newly created roles, partner with CHRO on developing and implementing processes for annual compensation administration (salary increases, bonuses, equity awards), complete all 3rd party compensation surveys (Radford, Equilar, CAI). May assist CHRO with executive compensation administration.
- HR Systems and Process: Seek to streamline processes and make life simpler for Argos employees to focus on their own work; partners to improve or create processes and automate or eliminate where possible. Will serve as the primary HR interface for most HR applications of Kronos, our Payroll, Timekeeping and HR system, partnering with Payroll Manager to complete design of the new Kronos system and launch the remaining HR functionality to the organization.
- Employee Relations and Regulatory Compliance: As Process Owner, fosters a workplace free of discrimination and other unlawful practices by implementing preventative measures (e.g. training); manages employee complaints, investigations and corrective action, oversees compliance requirements (posters, government reporting). Assists with development of new policies and making improvements to existing policies.
- Organization Development: Contributes to fostering a healthy Argos culture where all people can thrive and perform at their best. Will build and lead company Wellness initiative to engender employee engagement and increased well-being. Will help design and implement other employee engagement and culture enhancing initiatives.
- Education: Undergraduate degree in business, human resources or related field. MBA or related graduate level work/ degree a plus.
- Experience: A minimum of 8 years of broad HR and business experience required. HR experience will include serving as an HR Business Partner as well as experience with recruiting and handling employee relations required, and experience with benefits and compensation strongly preferred. Related industry experience is a plus (e.g. biopharma/ biotech, pharmaceuticals, start-ups)
- Results Driven Self-starter: takes initiative and consistently delivers results of the highest quality, takes accountability for one’s work, has a sense of urgency, overcomes hurdles and ensures that results are delivered. Needs only limited supervision, and yet knows when to seek help, input or review from others.
- Interpersonal savvy and self-awareness: Relates well with others; considers and responds appropriately to the needs, feelings, and capabilities of different people in different situations, is tactful, compassionate and sensitive, and treats others with respect. Understands how others perceive them and has the ability to flex their own style to the situation for greater effectiveness.
- Analytical: ability to generate and analyze metrics and hard and soft data to regularly inform the work and to report to management. Works on complex issues where analysis of situations and data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. Comfortable creating and using spreadsheets.
- Flexible and Versatile: able and willing to roll up one’s sleeves and work in all areas of HR; willing to both handle routine tasks and be an agile learner taking on new responsibilities that challenge and exceed what the person has done before.
- Superior communication skills: superior verbal, listening and written skills; skilled communicating with employees at all levels inclusive of executive management; strong presentation and facilitation skills.
- Consultation and Influence skills: Proven ability to use consultative skills and build strong, productive, trustworthy relationships. Has a “customer” orientation to internal clients, being responsive to needs, effectively managing expectations, and also facilitating self-sufficiency in others, where possible.
- Courageous Change Agent: leads others through transitions through compelling communications and support, deploying well documented change leadership models. Willing to speak up and take a stand even if it is not a popular one. Seeks to make things better, and has proven experience designing and implementing new processes, programs etc. to bring positive change.
- Business Savvy: learns the core elements of the business, how the organization works, what is important, uses knowledge of corporate vision and objectives to determine how to support the business to achieve success. Good understanding of finance fundamentals.
- Collaboration: Seeks insights from others in the interest of a better outcome, is a team player with leader and colleagues; keeps others abreast of what is going on, asks for input, provides help when asked and offers when not asked.
- Technology Proficiency: Microsoft Outlook Suite: Excel, Power Point, Word; social media savvy. Experience working with an HRIS/ HR automated systems highly desirable, experience with Kronos HR even better.